February 12, 2005

For Want of a Better Topic

I was walking along the other day and I came across this hole. It was rather large and irregularly shaped at the top. I had been through that area before a few times and I had never seen it before. But that was no surprise. The bushes were rather thick through there.
It was just a hole, but as I looked down into it I realized that I couldn't see the bottom. It was only a blank spot in the middle of reality. I began to wonder if this was more than a hole and I reached in. There was nothing there. There was also no bottom, that I could reach anyway.
I layed there for a minute, my arm dangling in the empty space. I began to wonder if the hole was a look into our future. Or mine.
Again I wondered if it was nothing more than a hole. But, it didn't feel like a hole, if that makes any sense. I sat up and let my legs hang over the edge. Then I figured, since I had gone this far, I might as well find out how deep the hole really was.
I put a hand on either side of the hole and lowered myself into it as far as I could reach without letting go. Still I could not reach the bottom. Before I could decide what to try next, the sides of the holes where I had my hands, gave way.
I found myself falling. Very fast and for a very long time. When I finally landed it was through tree tops, then brush before I finally hit the ground in a soft bed of pine needles and moss. I could do no more than lay there and let my head clear. I was dazed but I seemed unbroken.
Eventually my head stopped spinning and I was able to sit up. I had landed not three feet from the hole. I rolled over and peeked down into it one more time.
I stood up and brushed myself off considering what had just happened.
After another moment I turned my back on it and walked away. I decided that it was just another hole.

1 comment:

Mike said...

Just another hole???

... I know how you feel!