February 14, 2005

Nobody was Really There

I was walking, not to far from the hole, when I heard someone calling my name. It wasn't like you kind of hear something and your brain turns it into your name, either. Someone was out there calling my name.
I was a little on the tired side of things because I had just spent about three hours chopping into the blackberry bushes. Not the most pleasant work and it really takes a toll on a person. I was extremely tired already, so I wasn't sure that I was interested in finding out who was calling for me.
After a few minutes of thinking it over my conscious got the better of me. It seemed to be coming from behind me so I stashed my tools into a bush and started back tracking my route. But when I started towards it, the voice seemed to start moving to. I wasn't sure at first, but after a minute of following it I realized that I was, indeed, being messed with. The calling was directly ahead of me but I wasn't getting any closer to it.
I decided that this was not a good day for being toyed with so I turned to leave again. But when I got turned around the voice was still in front of me. I stopped in my tracks. I have to admit then that I felt a certain tightening in my bowels. I thought that maybe I had just turned to far, but that wasn't it. I turned back around. The voice was again in front of me. No matter where I turned, the voice was always in front of me.
Now that certain tightening started to turn on me a little bit. It started into something more primal. Fear is to strong of a word, but I could feel my survival instincts perk up and some adrenaline started to work it's way into my blood and my heart started to beat a little faster.
At that point I was more inclined to see how fast I could get back to my van but I had one small problem. I was lost. Not a single thing looked familiar to me.
The trees had taken on a darker hue and seemed to not even be the right kind anymore. They moved far to much for the lack of breeze and the rest of forest moved not at all. Nothing but the trees moved. It was if the rest of the forest was afraid of something and had gone to sleep.
I felt that moving somewhere was a better idea than just standing there, so that's what I did. I had forgotten my tools behind but all I could think of was getting out of here. My blood was moving very fast now. I also no longer heard my name.
I walked in that direction for about an hour. Things were not looking good for me. It normally only takes 15 minutes to walk the full length of the trail I was on but I saw no end in sight.
After another hour of walking something changed. I also started to hear another call. It was faint to start out with, but it grew louder as I strolled along. At first I couldn't make out what it was, but in time I could hear the words again. Or rather I could feel what the words were.
They asked why I was traveling the road of the lost. I stopped dead in my tracks.

The road of the lost?

1 comment:

Mike said...

Don't keep me in suspence; what happened damn it?