February 15, 2005

Not Without My Discs

It didn't take me long before I started to see spots in front of my eyes. I guessed it was the pain of my arm, but once again, I turned out to be wrong. I had landed on some kind of a strange moss. It was purple with small white flowers that seemed to move by themselves. Some of them had attatched to me as I laid there.
They broke easily enough when I sat up but the spots didn't disappear. In fact they started to swirl. And they stopped. And then they swirled. And then they stopped. And then they started chatting with each other. The moss beckoned me to lat back down again, but for some reason I thought better of it.
The trees around me let me know that that was a good decision. Flesh eating moss was not a good place for napping.
I bounced that around inside my throbbing head for a moment or two before the obvious occurred to me.
I had not returned after all. In fact I may be farther away than when I was lost. Physically speaking of course. Things began to unravel in the back of mind.
Just a hole? Now I really had my doubts. I mean I could get over the fall through the tree top, but flesh eating moss in my forest? My reality detector must be malfunctioning.
It was confirmed when a bee, the size of a canary, pointed a metal tipped stick at me and asked what I was doing in his moss. Of course I had no suitable reply for him so I just rolled out his way.
It didn't seem to make the bee any happier but he, at least, didn't poke me with his stick. We just looked at one another for a moment or two before he asked me what I was. He was stunned to hear that I was a human. It seems that humans had long since been forgotten in this part of the world.
When I tried to find out what happened to them he just snickered at me and said it was because humans were to stupid to survive. Our brains were to small and confined. His, he explained was spread all throughout the forest and concentrated at the hive.
He expressed his deepest sympathy for my limitations before he buzzed off. And let me tell you...A canary sized bee can really buzz.
So now I had another one of those "lost" problems on my hands. The trees were of little help at this point. The breeze had picked up and all I could make out from them was something along the lines of "Whheeeeeee!!!!"
I found a stump to sit on close by and did my best not to think about my arm. Of course I had plenty to occupy my mind at that point. I checked the stump for teeth before I sat down to consider what to do next.

No comments: